“Almost every church I’ve ever known has wanted to Attract Young Families. The reasoning behind this includes the following:
- If we don’t regenerate, everyone will eventually get old and die.
- It’s energizing to have young people around.
- Younger members can do the work that older members can’t/won’t do anymore.
- Older members tend to be on fixed incomes and younger working members are needed for their pledges.
- Young families (i.e., mom, dad and kids) remind us of church when we were (or wish we were) part of young families.
There are a few things wrong with this reasoning, including the fact that “attracting” people in general feels manipulative—as if people are “targets” to be used for our own purposes. Yuck.”
Read all of Jan Edmiston’s When Churches Want a Pastor Who Can “Bring in Young Families.”