The Core Ministry funding program represents our collective empowerment ministries facilitated by the National Leadership Team and is the key component to support the development of healthy churches across Canada and around the world. It represents a covenant of trust that local church ministers and delegates set up in the mid nineties as an approach based on the biblical concept of tithing rather than the prior apportionment allocation that was more like a taxation system.
Among other things these include:
- Providing leadership, quality assurance and accountability for pastoral leaders across the country
- Training and development of present and future leaders of the FMCIC
- Legal, administrative, payroll, medical benefits, pension services for pastors and churches across the country
- Providing training, resources, and strategic planning services for churches seeking to function in a healthy manner in their own communities
- Providing training, resources, and strategic planning services for churches reaching out to diverse peoples in their own community as well as around the world
Local churches are asked to contribute a tithe (10%) of their monthly Operating Receipts toward these leadership ministries which support the development of healthy churches across Canada and beyond.
Calculating your church CORE contribution:
Section 440.2.2 of The Manual defines Core as a tithe of all donations to the local church less funds raised for Giving Streams, special short-term fund raising programs for local church programs (such as campaigns for building programs or debt reduction), funds raised for special ministry programs outside of the local church (such as funds raised for World Relief, and funds transferred to other Christian organizations), and bequests.
- Start with the amount for the church’s total receipts/donations.
- Subtract any Designated Funds – including Giving Streams, other designated giving (missions, buildings, debt reduction, short-term projects, etc.)
- Subtract any Special Offerings given to a registered Canadian charity outside of the Local Church (World Relief, EFC, other charitable organizations)
- Subtract any Bequests to the Local Church (as this is a designated gift)
- The Sub Total – Donations less Designated Giving – is what you base the CORE upon
- Multiply this by 10% – modeling the Tithe of non-designated giving
- The Balance is your church’s CORE Remittance