Your church is funded by the generosity of those that give to it. It is both a privilege and a responsibility to steward those donations and to respect those that give. It is recommended that your church have a ‘Donor Bill of Rights’ that is shared and posted. Below is the FMCIC Donor Bill of Rights to use as a sample:
FMCIC Donor Bill of Rights
All those who choose to invest funds entrusted to them by God to the ministries of The Free Methodist Church in Canada (FMCIC) have the following rights:
- To be informed of The FMCIC’s mission, of the way The FMCIC will use the donation, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on The FMCIC’s Board of Administration, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to The FMCIC’s most recent audited financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing The FMCIC will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees, or hired solicitors.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.