Policies are written rules, statements, principles, or directives for making decisions and taking action and form an integral part of a governance board.
A well written policy, if followed, can reduce exposure to liability; provide uniformity and consistency; help ensure all involved parties understand their roles and responsibilities; and demonstrate your church’s commitment to good governance (CCCC, Developing Effective Policies for Churches)
An annual review so that all church policies have been reviewed by the Board – this can be done over a 2-3 year cycle. The questions to ask are: Is the policy still appropriate/relevant? Has the church situation changed since it was adopted? Does it need to be updated or removed?
The church board should keep track of when each policy was last revised/reviewed.
List of recommended church policies:
- Annual Declaration of Eligibility Form
- Benevolence Policy
- Child Protection Policy
- Confidentiality Policy (PAR 372.2.4)
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Donor Restricted (Designated) Gifts Policy
- Donor Bill of Rights
- Facility Use Policy
- Facility Rental Policy
- Fundraising Policy
- Honorariums Policy
- Internal Controls / Fraud Prevention
- Record Storage/Security Policy
- Reimbursing Mileage Policy
- Reimbursing Ministry Expenses Policy
- Short Term Mission Trips Policy
- Transportation Policy