A NEW APPLICATION PACKAGE MUST BE SUBMITTED FOR EACH SEMESTER – WINTER and SUMMER/FALL.
PLEASE SEE 2017 APPLICATION FORMS AND DEADLINE DATES BELOW.
The Leadership Scholarship Plan (LSP) was initiated to provide financial assistance to students pursuing post-secondary educational studies in approved schools. The LSP program is funded jointly by Lorne Park Foundation and The Free Methodist Church in Canada and administered by the FMCiC office.
COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY GRANT
Ministerial students will receive grants subject to the recommendation of the local Official Board and the approval of the Leadership Scholarship Committee. Ministerial students are to be involved in ministry in a local church where they are attending school or their home church. Ministry experience while at school should be documented by the applicant and reported to their sponsoring Official Board.
Scholarships may be awarded by the Director of Personnel to candidates for ministry pursuing educational opportunities not at a bible college or seminary, in consultation with the official board of the local church and the LSP Committee. The amounts will be equal to the college or university grants, depending on the school to which the student applies. If you feel this option may fit your circumstances personally, please include in your application package a written explanation as to why you are choosing to study at a non-approved school.
Approved Colleges and Universities
- Acadia Divinity College (Acadia University), Montreal, QC
- Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA
- Briercrest College – Caronport, SK
- Central College, McPherson, KS
- Greenville College, Greenville, IL
- Roberts Wesleyan College, Rochester, NY
- Rocky Mountain College, Calgary, AB
- Tyndale College, Toronto, ON
- Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA
- Spring Arbor University, Spring Arbor, MI
- Trinity Western University, Langley, BC
Funding Levels for Ministerial Students:
[* also see “Other Available Scholarships” section below]
LSP applicants will receive scholarship amounts based on a funding formula which can cause the amounts available to students to fluctuate semester to semester and year to year. This calculation is based each semester upon the number applicants, the number of credits taken by each applicant, and the funding received through Giving Stream donations. We cannot provide funding for any student above the amount of the actual tuition paid.
Seminary students will receive grants subject to the recommendation of their regional Ministerial Education, Guidance and Placement Committee.
Approved Canadian Seminaries
- Associated Canadian Theological Schools (ACTS), Langley, BC
- Briercrest Biblical Seminary, Caronport, SK
- Ecole de Theologie Evangelique de Montreal (partnered with Universite de Montreal), Montreal, QC
- Tyndale Seminary, Toronto, ON
Funding Level for Seminary Students:
LSP applicants will receive scholarship amounts based on a funding formula which can cause the amounts available to students to fluctuate semester to semester and year to year. This calculation is based each semester upon the number applicants, the number of credits taken by each applicant, and the funding received through Giving Stream donations. We cannot provide funding for any student above the actual amount of the tuition paid.
Approved John Wesleyan Seminary Foundation (JWSF) Institutions
- Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY
- Azusa Pacific University, Graduate School of Theology, Azusa, CA
- Northeastern Seminary, Rochester, NY
- Wesley Biblical Seminary, Jackson, MS
- Western Evangelical Seminary, Portland, OR
Funding Level for D. Min. / PhD. Students:
Those applying for funding for Doctor of Ministry or PhD studies are required to write a proposal on how their studies will impact the mission and vision of the FMCiC. Those proposal needs to be submitted with the application package the first time a student applies for funding for D.Min./PhD studies. The Director of Personnel in consultation withthe LSP Committee will make a recommendation for approval of the applicant’s studies and will consult with the Regional Ministerial Education Guidance and Placement committee where it deems necessary. The applicants will receive scholarship amounts based on a funding formula which can cause the amounts available to students to flucturate semester to semester and year to year. This calculation is based each semester upon the number of applicants, the number of credits taken by each applicant, and the funding received through Giving Stream donations. We cannot provide funding for any student above the actual amount of the tuition paid.
SERVICE / PAYBACK ARRANGEMENT
The following policy applies to all students who receive LSP funding.
Grants are given with the expectation that all students receiving financial assistance will serve the Church. Service includes ministerial service with The Free Methodist Church in Canada, service as an approved missionary or VISA worker or Chaplain, involvement in denominational ministry or active involvement in a leadership capacity as a member of a local congregation of The Free Methodist Church in Canada.
The amount of the grant received will be reduced by twenty per cent for each year of service, with service as defined above. In the case of scholarship recipients who cannot fulfill the service obligation, the assistance received will be considered to be a loan to be repaid. The grant is repayable to The Free Methodist Church in Canada over five years. Repayment is to begin six months after the completion of studies. A deferment of repayment may be requested if studies continue at a non-approved institution or if other circumstances warrant.
SOURCE OF LSP FUNDING
The LSP grant program is a continuation of the ministry of Lorne Park Foundation. LPF continues to provide approximately one-half of the funds required for LSP each year from the capital asset income of Lorne Park Foundation. The balance of the funding comes from Free Methodist churches across Canada through the Leadership Development Giving Stream.
Other available scholarships
- John Wesley Seminary Foundation (JWSF) – Canadian FM students attending a JWSF institution who are at least Ministerial Candidates may receive a JWSF scholarship funded by LSP amounting to approximately $2,340 per year or $190 per semester hour. The LSP application may be considered as an application for this scholarship.
- Special Scholarship Funds – The Free Methodist Church in Canada and Lorne Park Foundation administer several special scholarships.Click here to apply. Application forms in French can be downloaded by clicking on “Special Scholarships” or you can contact the Ministry Centre for a brochure and application form. For more information contact Susan DePlanché, assistant to the Director of Personnel, at 289-362-1555.
How can applications be made?
LSP application packages can be downloaded by clicking the forms above, either in Word format or in .pdf format. All undergraduate (college/university) applicants need to be recommended by their church Official Board with pastor’s signature. Graduate and Post-Graduate (Masters/Seminary/D.Min, PhD, etc.) applicants need to be approved by the Director of Personnel in consultation with their Regional MEGaP committees.
THE APPLICATION PACKAGE MUST BE COMPLETE WHEN IT IS RECEIVED AT THE MINISTRY CENTRE. ANY INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGES WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS FOR THAT SEMESTER. NO RETROACTIVE SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS WILL BE DISBURSED.
PLEASE NOTE: A NEW COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE MUST BE SUBMITTED FOR EACH SEMESTER.
The deadlines dates are:
- February 15 for the Winter Semester
- October 15 for the Summer and/or Fall Semester
APPLICATION PACKAGES RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE DATES FOR EACH SEMESTER CAN NOT BE CONSIDERED BY THE COMMITTEE.
|2017 Grant Program Application Package Documents|
|Information Request Form|
|School Confirmation Form|
|Application Package Checklist|