One Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is twenty-four (24) contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under qualified supervision that meets:
a. the professional development needs identified in a performance appraisal
b. health/growth needs identified by the minister in consultation with the Network Leader.
CEUs are documented events that are reported to the Credentialing Coordinator for tracking.
Calculation of contact hours may include the following elements:
- In-class time with direct participation between the learner and instructor.
- Activities in which there is no onsite instructor present, such as, supervised independent study, computer-assisted instruction, or project-based assignments may be counted if they meet the criteria.
- Field experience, laboratory assignments, and projects, if they are sufficiently structured to meet the criteria.
Here are several examples for hours that can be recorded for CEUs:
- a one day conference, i.e. Regional Gathering (9 am-4 pm) = 6 hours (excludes breaks, meals)
- a 3-day conference = 18 hours (6 hours each day)
- Ministers’ Conference = 6 hours of learning/teaching/training
- Missions Trip (7-10 days with pre-trip orientation, guided discussion throughout the trip and post-trip debriefing) = 24 hours
- General Conference Sunday workshops = 1 hour each (the General Conference itself is considered a ‘business meeting’ and not training)
- Network Leader annual training = number of hours of learning/teaching/training
- National MEGaP training = number of hours where learning/teaching/training takes place (excludes policy discussions, The Manual edits, breaks, meal times, etc.)
- Network meeting = number of hours where learning/teaching/training takes place (excludes check-ins, meal times, etc.)
- Sabbatical = number of hours where learning/teaching/training takes place in a directed study/reading format guided by someone working with you
- A course at a college, university or seminary = 24 hours for auditing; 72 hours for completing a three-credit hour course
- FMCiC Foundational courses = 24 hours for auditing; 72 hours for completing assignments
- Teaching a course = number of hours for preparation plus hours of actual teaching
- Leading a Network training session = number of hours for preparation plus hours of actual leading the training session(s)