Bishop’s Notes – January 4, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

A very Happy New Year to all of you!  I trust that 2010 will be a year of experiencing Christ’s presence in new and more profound ways for all of us as we continue in our quest to understand the mission that God has us on in this world.  This will be the central focus of this year’s retreat with the NLT, the Network Leader Mentors and the Network Leaders as we gather together at Mount Mary Retreat Centre in Ancaster, Ontario.

Entering a new year also gives us an opportunity to reflect back on the previous year.  Over the weekend, I was thinking about the importance of being released from the past with its disappointments, mistakes, failures and hurts.  In yesterday’s devotional reading, Selwyn Hughes was writing about the same thing, taking Paul’s words, “Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal.” (Philippians 3:13-14). 

He concludes his thoughts for the day with these words:  “All of us have slipped up on one or occasion or another.  I am aware that I have learned from them and grown through them.  If I wanted to I could make a long list of them, but there is no point.  Brooding on your mistakes will only filch your faith, paralyze your potential and destroy your dreams.  The race ahead demands the utmost spiritual fitness.  Get rid of the weights that hinder your progress.  And get rid of them now.”

Very good and timely advice for entering a new decade, wouldn’t you say?

On the weekend I also watched a “chick flick” with Donna.  (Every wise husband knows that this is important to do from time to time.)  We watched “Julia and Julie,” a movie with two plots based on the true-life experiences of Julia Childs (author of the famous cookbook) and Julie Power.  There is a scene in the movie where Julia Childs receives the dreaded rejection letter from the first publisher to whom she had submitted her cookbook.  It had taken her and three others years to compile and clearly she was deeply disappointed.  She took a deep breath and made a courageous choice.  Turning to her husband, she said, “Oh boo-hoo.  What’s next?”

Hmmm.  It’s probably not the appropriate way to deal with deep hurts, but it would likely take care of 85% of the baggage of the past, leaving us with energy to move on and to open the other 15% to the life-giving work of the Holy Spirit to free, cleanse, heal and fill.

Please keep those of us on the retreat in your prayers this week.


Bishop Keith

P.S.  Remember.  If you are wondering about something related to the FMCIC and its ministry, please send your question to [email protected].

Have a look at Dan Sheffield’s blog:

– Alexandra (Sandy) Crozier – Stewardship Development Director for FMCIC, effective January 18, 2010

Whitby FMC, Whitby, ON (Vic & Joan Stonehouse, Interim)

Profiles available / Director of Personnel receiving resumes
St Joseph Island Free Methodist Church, Hilton Beach, ON DOP receiving resumes until January 4
Surrey FMC, Surrey, BC DOP receiving resumes until January 29

Preparing Profile
Asbury FMC, Perth, ON (Alan Adams, Interim)
Avonlea FMC, Avonlea, SK
Bramalea FMC, Brampton, ON
Charlemont FMC, Wallaceburg, ON
Eastern Koinonia, Toronto, ON
Queensway FMC, Niagara Falls, ON
Vennachar FMC, Vennachar, ON
Wawota FMC, Wawota, SK

Functioning with approved local arrangements
Butternut Creek, Kingston, ON
Campbell’s Bay FMC, Campbell’s Bay, QC
Enterprise FMC, Enterprise, ON
Killarney FMC, Killarney, MB
Mainstreet Community Church, Kelowna, BC
Malvern Chinese, Toronto, ON
Marmora FMC, Marmora, ON
Mississippi FMC, Mississippi, ON
Richmond Hill Chinese & English Churches, Richmond Hill, ON
Roblin FMC, Roblin, MB
The FreeWay, Oshawa, ON
Timmins FMC, Timmins, ON
Wyevale FMC, Wyevale, ON
Yarker FMC, Yarker, ON

Ousman Ali
Jennifer Anderson
Dean Babcock
Glenn Dixon
Linda Dixon
Harold Fox
Tom Gurnick
Larry Hart
Dale Hawley
Kevin Kay
Steve Lougheed
Doug McLeod
Samson Mehari
Paul Millar
Jim Peetoom
Pierre Sanambe
Jennifer Wagar
Scott Woolhead
– Executive Director – Arlington Beach Camp
– Director of Music and Arts – Wesley Chapel, Toronto
– Youth Pastor – Verona FMC
– Associate Pastor of Mission and Ministry– Arlington Woods FMC, Ottawa, ON

2010 Regional Gatherings
March 20 – Montreal – Rosemont
March 27 – Wesley Chapel
April 17 – Brantford – Freedom Christian Community
May 1 – Arlington Beach Camp
May 8 – Dryden
May 15 – Athens
May 29 – Sault Ste Marie
June 5 – Ellice
June 12 – Merritt

2010 FMCiC Ministers Conferences
September 28-30 – Wesley Acres
October 5-7 – Entheos Retreat Centre (near Calgary)

Please note: The Bishop’s Notes are sent out at the beginning of every week and includes pulpit supply information). As some of this information is personal and sensitive it has been omitted from the website.  Please contact the Personnel office (905-357-3165) for more information.